Sunday, October 30, 2011

A Happy Birthday, and A (albeit beautiful) Disaster...

My mom and my aunt came down for my birthday weekend. Happy birthday to me! What a great day we had- lazy morning, lunch out at a fantastic Italian restaurant, shopping in the village, dinner at home, followed by ice cream cake! It was pretty much perfect!

After such a big full day, I had planned a lazy, jammie clad, day of crafts and chatting around my kitchen table. Over morning coffee, we notice it snowing, ever so lightly. Of course, Grace had to get out into it! Our first snowfall in the mountains!
Of course, it won't stick. It's not even Halloween! And, it's so pretty (and delicious to seven year olds)!
Hmmm... maybe it's sticking a little. Then my uncle calls and asks if we have been watching the news. Umm, no. "Chopped" is on. Duh. What's that? A Nor Easter? You don't say!

Some of the first trees down. They were beautiful flowering pears lining the street at the edge of my front yard.

We used brooms and rakes to try to shake the heavy snow off of their leaves. Here, Casey is actually up in the tree shaking it.

And in spite of our best efforts...
this still happened. And this...

The trees continued to creek and crack, late into the night. This morning, I was anxious to see the damage in daylight.

The morning sun on the snow covered trees was stunning! A true wonderland! Oh yeah, until I turn my head and survey our new "landscaping".

This is our driveway. Armed with a handsaw, a snow shovel, and three pairs of capable hands, we set forth to clear it. Our neighbor, across the street, came over with his chainsaw to help us clear the last (and heaviest) tree. And, our wonderful neighbor, to our left, came over with his snow blower and cleared the end of the driveway.

Casey is out buying our own chainsaw, so we can tackle this...
And, that's the story of how this...

became this...
R.I.P. trees. You were beautiful, and will be missed.

I am thankful no one was hurt. I am thankful we have no significant structural damage. We have electricity and phone. Many do not. My prayers are with all those who have weathered this storm.

Wishing you a happy home! Thank you for stopping by!

*photos by C. A. Denny

No comments:

Post a Comment