Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Overwhelmed...

I have been putting off writing a new post because I really wanted this blog to be a place of lighthearted wit and mirth. And, frankly, I am feeling way to overwhelmed to be funny. Adjusting to life in the country has been harder than I expected, and I feel as though I am wading my way through a veritable sea of boxes. Each box contains a mish mosh of items- perhaps a sneaker, a colander, some Windex, and a precious photo of a family member. It's hard to wrap oneself around the logic of packing one's house this way. Perhaps our packing team was a group of monkeys after a Starbucks binge. Not sure, I wasn't there. Too add to the fun, I get to discover something broken in at least one out of three boxes.
Here's a Shaker box, a Christmas gift from my parents, that held my knitting.

And several frames and home decor items. And a lamp. And dishes. Disheartening.
We did manage to buy some beautiful new appliances.
D'oh! Too bad the fridge didn't fit. Sorry, appliance delivery people, who had to hear the "conversation" the Mr. and I had after she refused to slide into her cabinet.

I guess this is what they mean when they say to measure twice. It actually wasn't as bad as the picture makes it look. It took the hubs and I four days, a sander, a plane, a Dremel, a hand saw, and an electric jigsaw to rectify the situation.

And voila! She fits! I never knew how much I could appreciate not having a giant refrigerator sitting in the middle of my kitchen.

We did take a day off to visit our town's Apple Fest. It is the one day a year that our sleepy town adds on an extra 30- 40,000 visitors. Our quiet village looks like this, just for one day.

Amazing! We did have a great time, and the rain mercifully stopped for almost one whole day! We ate some delicious food, browsed thousands of arts and crafts, listened to great music, and enjoyed being together in our new town.

Yesterday, my husband took two out of three girls to the Orange County Choppers shop. Our beloved mini schnauzer got something he's wanted for a long time...
his very own O.C.C. leather jacket!

I'd tell him how handsome he looks, but he obviously already knows it!

Thanks for stopping by, and I wish you a happy home!

No comments:

Post a Comment